Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lake Glenbawn Classic 5k





An unlikely winner


















Lake Glenbawn Classic - 5k open water swim - Australia Day 2010 -
Giant eels, small waves and an unlikely age category winner.

The locals at Aberdeen warned me about the legendary giant eels "as long a telegraph pole" that live in Lake Glenbawn. But I wouldn't see them, as they retreat to deep water when the water is warm. And they were right about the warm water - I'd say a balmy 25c on average. Air temp in the mid-3O's on a hot summer day in the Upper Hunter Valley. A perfect setting for a lake swim on Australia Day 2010.
The Lake Glenbawn Classic offers a choice of 3 events - 1k (one lap), 3k (3 laps)or 5k (5 laps) around a rectangular course. Being built for comfort (I ain't built for speed), I opted for the longer 5k swim and lined up in the water to start with the small contingent of green caps and blue caps.
The water was muddy close to shore where the red earth had been churned up by swimmers feet and the wake of boats, but further out the water was clean with good enough visibility.
I found myself swimming on my own in clear water for most of the course, a welcome change from some recent crowded ocean swims in Sydney. Just me, my thoughts and the deep green water, and a glimpse of a water safety paddler or boat every time I turned to breathe. Arms hurting after 3 laps, I had a fleeting thought of following the 3k swimmers as they swam past the turning buoy to the finish.
But continued onto a 4th lap ... straight into a headwind that had suddenly come up and was churning up a one-foot chop on the lake. Swallowed water a few times as I lifted my head into the chop to spot the next marker. It didn't taste too bad. Slow going the last 2 laps with the headwind, finished strongly once the finish line was in sight.
This was a lovely swim and well run and organised. I enjoyed spending 2 days in the Upper Hunter Valley. My prize of a handcrafted plate for winning my age category was unexpected and appreciated. Thanks to the Scone Swimming Club for their hospitality at Lake Glenbawn.