Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tamarama to Clovelly Cancelled 5th April











Unfortunately I didn't get to start in this event, the race was cancelled before half the competitors left the beach. I suspect this decision had more to do with the treacherous surf conditions at the start and finish than the shark spotting. There's "always" sharks around on that stretch of coastline, I think IRBs buzzing around for 2 hours would be likely to spot one on any day.

Media Report (Daily Telegraph):
"Shark sightings, heavy seas and a partial cancellation - yesterday's ocean race between Tamarama and Clovelly had it all.
More than 500 swimmers were already in the water for the tough annual charity swim when organisers spotted a large shark.
Organisers did not allow the rest of the field - several hundred swimmers - to start the 2.5km race for safety reasons.
There was thought to be just one shark but organiser Chris Glover said three sightings and the rough conditions meant there was no way the race could continue.
"It was pretty wild. Conditions were a bit bigger than forecast and the shark wasn't exactly invited. The shark was big enough that we deemed it appropriate to cancel the event," Mr Glover said."

2 comments:

Bambi said...

Gday Richard, I got to start at Tama, but didn't make it out the back. I was nervous about diving under the waves because of the rock and weed. I was later told that the trick is to grab hold of the rocks and hold on tight. However, a bloke in front of me knocked me over like a skittle, and next minute I found I was in the rip with a lady needing help. She asked me how do we get out - to which I replied, stick yer hand up. She was rescued, by this stage I got pummeled by the sets and turned around to see all the blue caps in my wave turning the first buoy. So I pulled out- and glad I did. I have been in many big surfs, but that was dangerous. I struggled with my confidence following that turn of events, so I guess I am saying, while you might not have got to swim, I for one, am glad that I pulled out, and happy that they called the swim of in the interests of safety. My season is drawing to an end - South Curly, Terrigal, and then, maybe Avoca.

cheers

John

Unknown said...

Hi John, That was unlucky.
I was surprised to see some good swimmers in the early waves walking back up Tamarama beach after not getting out. It seems like a little luck and good timing was needed on the day - to find the right line to get out safely, miss the largest of the big wave sets, and don't get knocked over by other swimmers going backwards. I must admit to having a few second thoughts during the long wait on the beach and after the first report of a shark sighting. But I was determined to give it a go, so I was disappointed not to get a chance to start.