Thursday, July 22, 2010

Magnetic Island to Townsville Swim 8k 18th July















That was a hard swim, 8k across Cleveland Bay
No part of it was easy
Big wind swell and chop all the way
Swimming against the current near the end
Water a bit murky
A tough 8k's
Felt good to finish
And good to have experienced a longer swim in tough conditions

The start was a bit rushed. Not helped by my allocated paddler not showing up at Picnic Bay and me being the only swimmer walking up and down the beach 15 minutes before the start looking for another paddler. Luckily a couple of youngsters had shown up as reserve paddlers and they got me a start

Anyway those hard maintenance squad sessions in the cold & windy outdoor pool at Sans Souci the last few weeks must have been good preparation. I was able to keep going at a consistent medium-slow pace for the whole 3 hours. Feeling ok at the end. Time 3:07:52.
And some other solo swimmers finished behind me, so I'm happy with that result.






Picnic Bay
Reef
Helicopter Photos: Karen Uhlmann




Leader at marker
Last stroke

2 comments:

Shayne said...

Hi Richard,
Just popping in to congratulate you on a massive achievement. I could never do what you did. Just thinking about it makes me feel queasy. Big swell? Eight kilometres? Chop? Ugh.

Best wishes,
Shayne

Unknown said...

Never say never.
Start with one of the 5k swims in Sydney next season, and you will be hooked.