Sunday, November 21, 2010

Terrigal OW Swim Carnival 5k Sat. 20th November



Terrigal Open Water Swim Carnival 5k
2 laps around a 2.5k circuit of Terrigal Beach
Part of the NSW Swimming Marathon Series

I underestimated the conditions and overestimated my condition on this one.
Thought I might go more than 5k if I was feeling good enough, so I signed up for the 10k swim-through
Really just to give myself an option to keep going after 5k if I felt strong enough
Conditions looked perfect, but once we got out of the shelter of Terrigal Haven and into the wind, the swell and chop picked up, and that part of it was actually quite tough
Had one little "lost-at-sea" moment on the 2nd lap, I was feeling seasick so I stuck my head up about 800m offshore to see who was around if I needed help - no swimmers, no craft in sight - maybe not such a good idea to keep going for another 2 laps without a drink or a support paddler
Starting to feel the cold (water 19c) after an hour in the water
In the end I was happy to finish the 5k (2 laps) in a reasonable time 1:48, a few minutes less than my 5k time from 2 weeks ago

No comments: