Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Big Swim Sun. 30th January










The Big Swim Palm Beach to Whale Beach, about 2.5k
Conditions were good for an ocean swim -
Loved the waves breaking at both beaches at the start and finish, Fun riding the rip to carry us out to the first buoy, Challenged by big chop around the headland, Cooled by a refreshing patch of colder water half-way, Pushed by the friendly swell towards the finish

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this ocean swimming now

I enjoyed every part of this swim
Was able to swim quite hard at a consistent speed the whole way
Looks like I can hold a reasonable pace now for 2 to 3k

The start was busy with a large number of swimmers in my start wave. Not bothered by the other swimmers swimming into me and accidentally grabbing at my legs. Just kept a straight line and held my elbows out a little to protect my goggles and gently push them away when we bumped.
Time was a few minutes faster than last year
And did much better in terms of finish position (overall and category)

No comments: